Thursday, February 19, 2009

A brilliant fool

This is so weird. Coincidences like this are just bizzaro, I think. Anyway, I'm still in the process of selecting a background for my blog. The one that's up now is not so bad, but I'm still looking. I found one today that I thought was cute and wanted to try out:


Nice, no? It's called "Quixotical." What a delightful and whimsical name. The colors are lovely and it looks rather antiqued, doesn't it? So, I thought I would try it out. At the same time, Digsby tells me I have a new email. It's my Peterson's word of the day. I check it out:

Yes, how bizzare, right? Anyway, coincidences coincidences. I love Don Quixote. I really do. I think it's a really great tale and every one EVERYONE should read it. The way he goes about rationalizing all the irrational things he does... Hmmm. His courage and passion are admirable, however... "Although it may be possible to be both courageous and crazy Don Quixote is so consumed by his mental state that any sense of courage is really lost to foolishness." (click the quote for a link to the source.)

My goodness.... Why haven't you read it yet? Then you will understand why the word Quixotic means what it does. It's like using the word Machiavellian without having read Machiavelli! You will understand why "they might be giants...."

Side note: I've already decided my next beta fish will be named Rocinante -- after Don Q's horse.

Below are portraits of the famous knight by Dali, Picasso, and two that I don't know. I particularly love the third. If anyone can tell me who it is by, that would be lovely.



1 comment:

Tiffany Anne said...

i like "Quixotical." Is nice